How do you make the enticing taste of fresh fish even better? Enliven it with the subtle zing of Monterey Jack cheese, the crunch of coleslaw, Spanish-style rice, and a touch of garlic flavor‒all combined in a warm tortilla.
Cole Slaw Rice:
2 cups coleslaw mix
2 tablespoons your favorite light vinaigrette
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ pound halibut or cod fillet, cut into 4 pieces, rinsed and patted dry
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
⅛ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
4 (6 ½-inch) wheat tortillas, warmed
¼ cup shredded Colby Monterey Jack cheese
Berries and lime wedges
1. In large bowl stir together rice, coleslaw mix, and vinaigrette; set aside. Stirring is a fun activity your child can do. They can practice by taking our interactive STIRRING lesson.
2. Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
3. Season fish with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
4. Cook fish for 3 to 4 minutes; turn over and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes or until fish just flakes with a fork.
5. To assemble tacos: Place about ¼ of rice mixture down center of tortilla.
6. Top with 1 piece of cooked fish, and 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.
7. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Refrigerate leftovers.
Note: Nutrition facts based on ingredients in the recipe description and does not include side dishes shown in photography.
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
Calories from Fat 160
Total Fat 17g 26%
Saturated Fat 3.5g 18%
Trans fat 0g
Carbohydrates 49g 16%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 35%
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs,
The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they
been evaluated by the U.S, FDA